Using our power (such as it is) for good

Not that I expect there to be many
Admin
Da Boop
Site Admin

Post #1 by Admin » 10 months ago

When I saw the following article and video, I decided I wasn't just going to drop it on the board, and hope people find it. So here it is in announcements. Please share it wherever you post, or on Twitter, Facebook - any social media. And when you go to Youtube to watch, check out the likes and dislikes. Man, this has some knickers in a knot!

Joss Whedon: Donald Trump slammed in Save the Day video | EW.com

The Save the Day website reads, “We are a short-form production company dedicated to the idea that voting is a necessary and heroic act. That every voice in this wonderfully diverse nation should, and must, be heard. That the only thing that can save democracy is the act that defines it. We are committed to fighting the apathy, cynicism, and honest confusion that keeps citizens from using their vote. And to reminding an increasingly out-of-touch and compromised set of representatives that they are answerable to the people they were hired to serve.”

The Whedon-helmed PSA, titled “Important,” features that bevy of celebrities urging Americans to vote on Nov. 8. While it doesn’t mention either Republican or Democratic presidential candidates Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton by name, Cheadle warns against “a racist, abusive coward who could permanently damage the fabric of our society.” Odom Jr. also asks, “Do we want to give nuclear weapons to a man whose signature move is firing things?”

In an interview with BuzzFeed released Wednesday, Whedon explained how he was able to get so many stars onboard for the project. “There is almost nobody that I wouldn’t approach to say, ‘If you can pitch in, do it now,’” he said. “It was pretty much the same spiel to everybody: ‘Doing a voting PSA to help get out the vote and stop orange Muppet Hitler.’”

I like this one even more than the one he did in 2012.

Off-topic, I hope you're enjoying the board. We've got some really great members, and once again I wish to thank Okashii/Spotty for all she's done to make this board as easy to be on as it is. :)

Cicero
Veteran
Veteran

Post #2 by Cicero » 10 months ago

I don't do parkour but I AM ready for the zombie apocalypse. I run 3-5 miles five days per week. I shoot pretty durned well. I know where my nearest enclosed shopping mall, the nearest prison, AND the nearest military base are located. I have seen all of the Romero zombie films, the Dawn of the Dead remake,28 days later, 28 weeks later, all of the Resident Evil movies, and World War Z. I have also watched TWD.

Whether it's a shambling, slow zombie...a super fast track zombie...or some mutant zombie created by a disease, or design, I am ready. Because you just can't be too prepared when a "burn it all down" candidate, like Donald Trump, gets within a stone's throw of the Oval Office. :cool:

Admin
Da Boop
Site Admin

Post #3 by Admin » 10 months ago

You ARE ready!!

I, on the other hand, intend to hope death is damn near instantaneous. :D

MaryAnne
Good Friend
Veteran

Post #4 by MaryAnne » 10 months ago

I want to add my Special thanks to those who designed this board. It is such a pleasure to post with those who really have a wide variety of interests,and I include both Polittical parties. We can disagree,discuss and still have fun.

Politics is at the front now because of the election, but that will not always be the case. This is my third permanent board in 16 years and many of you have been there all the way. But each new board brings new ones.

You have earned the stars with your hard work here. :see_stars:

Friday13
Above the Fray

Post #5 by Friday13 » 10 months ago

MaryAnne wrote:Source of the post I want to add my Special thanks to those who designed this board. It is such a pleasure to post with those who really have a wide variety of interests,and I include both Polittical parties. We can disagree,discuss and still have fun.

Politics is at the front now because of the election, but that will not always be the case. This is my third permanent board in 16 years and many of you have been there all the way. But each new board brings new ones.

You have earned the stars with your hard work here. :see_stars:

It's your FOURTH board, @
MaryAnne
...which one aren't you counting???
Lesson to regretful trump voters: Caveat Emptor
Not all who wander are lost.
Give me your tired, give me your poor, Trump doesn't own this Golden Door.

MaryAnne
Good Friend
Veteran

Post #6 by MaryAnne » 10 months ago

You are right. :see_stars: Slate, PJ, PH and here.

Make that three preceding boards.

Admin
Da Boop
Site Admin

Post #7 by Admin » 9 months ago

8years.jpg
8years.jpg (47.56 KiB) Viewed 472 times

NiteGuy
Conservatively Liberal
Rookie

Post #8 by NiteGuy » 6 months ago

I, like Cicero, am well prepared for the Apocalypse. It is a little hard, however, doing parkour in a wheelchair or with a walker. I am comforted by the fact though, that just about every major cast member of Ironman / The Avengers was in that first video. No doubt one of them will swing by, and lend me a hand.

And I'm a little late to this board, but I would like to offer a round of applause for those who put it all together. The place feels for the most part, like a favorite diner where you stop for breakfast in the morning. Old friends and newcomers all gathered at the counter to discuss the latest news, or even just talk about their latest hobbies, their kids, whatever.

Thank you.
Paranoia will destroy ya.

The wicked flee where no man persueth.

Frank
Cultural Warrior
Former Staff

Post #9 by Frank » 6 months ago

NiteGuy wrote:Source of the post I, like Cicero, am well prepared for the Apocalypse. It is a little hard, however, doing parkour in a wheelchair or with a walker. I am comforted by the fact though, that just about every major cast member of Ironman / The Avengers was in that first video. No doubt one of them will swing by, and lend me a hand.

And I'm a little late to this board, but I would like to offer a round of applause for those who put it all together. The place feels for the most part, like a favorite diner where you stop for breakfast in the morning. Old friends and newcomers all gathered at the counter to discuss the latest news, or even just talk about their latest hobbies, their kids, whatever.

Thank you.

---I had most this written yesterday when this damn thing timed me out. So, now I get to test my memory in addition to having to retype it all (sigh).---

Hey, Niteguy...great to see you in these parts! And I agree with what you said about CPB. Truth be told, I don't post here nearly as often as I used to. That's because my primary motivation for posting on poli sites has always been to mock the RWNJs (my many bannings, notwithstanding), and I have far too much respect for the posters here (also, as former staff, I still feel a need to behave myself...and where's the fun in that?). But, I lurk quite often, and try to soak up the best posts.

What caught my eye about this particular thread was the immediacy of its title. Imagine my surprise when I realized it was actually several months old! I've been giving this subject a lot of thought lately, as I'm sure many CPB members have. It's no exaggeration when I say that I was pretty shell-shocked for a full month after the election. In fact, I was just about to ask my doctor for a prescription for anti-anxiety meds (for the first time in my life) when I got involved with a creative project that became the focus of my obsession for several weeks. That seems to have snapped me out of my doldrums. Now, I'm just good and pissed. I confess to all here that I've been an armchair liberal for much of my adult life. But I can't sit back any more. This isn't some rehash of the GWB years. It's something altogether different, and much, much more dangerous. It's time to stand up for my beliefs and my country. And so, I've dedicated myself to work toward Trump's ouster.

The question is: How does one best go about that? TBH, I don't have many good suggestions. I guess I'll be joining public protests whenever I can and getting involved in petition drives (although I'm still highly skeptical of all online petitions...guess I'm just old school). I'm also planning on greatly expanding my social network on FB (until now, I've tried to limit my "friends" to those who were actually at least acquaintances in real life, but I'll be sending out "requests" to people whose posts I've admired for a while) as I believe it will be crucial for those opposed to the new regime to get organized. But really, I'm open to whatever good advice others may have.

I'm not sure if people really have the power any more, or if they ever did, but there's never been a time like the present to find out.

BDBoop
aka Admin
Media Manager

Post #10 by BDBoop » 6 months ago

Frank wrote:Source of the post

---I had most this written yesterday when this damn thing timed me out. So, now I get to test my memory in addition to having to retype it all (sigh).---

Hey, Niteguy...great to see you in these parts! And I agree with what you said about CPB. Truth be told, I don't post here nearly as often as I used to. That's because my primary motivation for posting on poli sites has always been to mock the RWNJs (my many bannings, notwithstanding), and I have far too much respect for the posters here (also, as former staff, I still feel a need to behave myself...and where's the fun in that?). But, I lurk quite often, and try to soak up the best posts.

What caught my eye about this particular thread was the immediacy of its title. Imagine my surprise when I realized it was actually several months old! I've been giving this subject a lot of thought lately, as I'm sure many CPB members have. It's no exaggeration when I say that I was pretty shell-shocked for a full month after the election. In fact, I was just about to ask my doctor for a prescription for anti-anxiety meds (for the first time in my life) when I got involved with a creative project that became the focus of my obsession for several weeks. That seems to have snapped me out of my doldrums. Now, I'm just good and pissed. I confess to all here that I've been an armchair liberal for much of my adult life. But I can't sit back any more. This isn't some rehash of the GWB years. It's something altogether different, and much, much more dangerous. It's time to stand up for my beliefs and my country. And so, I've dedicated myself to work toward Trump's ouster.

The question is: How does one best go about that? TBH, I don't have many good suggestions. I guess I'll be joining public protests whenever I can and getting involved in petition drives (although I'm still highly skeptical of all online petitions...guess I'm just old school). I'm also planning on greatly expanding my social network on FB (until now, I've tried to limit my "friends" to those who were actually at least acquaintances in real life, but I'll be sending out "requests" to people whose posts I've admired for a while) as I believe it will be crucial for those opposed to the new regime to get organized. But really, I'm open to whatever good advice others may have.

I'm not sure if people really have the power any more, or if they ever did, but there's never been a time like the present to find out.

Same here! All talk, no action except a few donations. But next Saturday, I'm going to the march and rally in St. Paul. :)

Return to “Announcements”