Heart of healthcare bill: $800B Medicaid rollback

Breaking news and analyses of politics in the United States
Friday13
Above the Fray

Post #1 by Friday13 » 4 weeks ago

Why the GOPers won't discuss it...

At Heart of Health Bill Is $800 Billion Medicaid Rollback
Tucked inside the Republican bill to replace Obamacare is a plan to impose a radical diet on a 52-year-old program that insures nearly one in five Americans.

The bill, of course, would modify changes to the health system brought by the Affordable Care Act. But it would also permanently restructure Medicaid, which covers tens of millions of poor or disabled Americans, including millions who are living in nursing homes with conditions like Alzheimer’s or the aftereffects of a stroke.

“This is the most consequential change in 50 years for low-income people’s health care,” said Joan Alker, the executive director of the Center for Children and Families at Georgetown University. “This is a massive change that has hardly been discussed.”

MORE...
Lesson to regretful trump voters: Caveat Emptor
Not all who wander are lost.
Give me your tired, give me your poor, Trump doesn't own this Golden Door.

BDBoop
aka Admin
Media Manager

Post #2 by BDBoop » 4 weeks ago

I honestly have no idea how they think they're going to survive the fall out. What's ironic is that the people who are going to be most adversely affected are not the ones who are fighting like mad to hold onto the ACA. This is going to be a wake up call of epic proportions.

ARMCX1
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post #3 by ARMCX1 » 4 weeks ago

Similar to what was done with welfare reform in the mid 90s except that the amount of federal money involved is considerably larger and the consequences to vulnerable individuals far greater.

Personally I'm disgusted by the purpose of the AHCA which is to turn Medicaid into tax cuts for households earning $200K or more per year.

A political party which features these sorts of things as the centerpiece of their agenda has outlived its usefulness and its humanity. Parties like that survive by deception, deceit and rigging the system.
Arise arise he cried so loud with a voice without restraint/come out ye gifted kings and queens and hear my sad complaint/no martyr is amongst ye now whom you can call your own/but go on your way accordingly and know you're not alone

tnbskts
British expat

Post #4 by tnbskts » 4 weeks ago

It's easy to see how they won't be affected by the fallout if you see how Republicans are reacting. Most of my FB friends who are rabid right-wingers are absolutely loving it because it sticks it to Obama, and Pelosi won't like it, and it'll only affect the undeserving. They simply don't care what's actually in the bill, they just want to see Democrats getting hurt.

Apparently some of the worst effects are being held off till 2023, which means the "moderate" Republicans can vote for it without being in danger of being turfed out of their seats any time soon.
"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." Terry Pratchett via Granny Weatherwax

“Look towards the Republican Party in America and shudder. ‘Make America Great Again!’ cries a man who is fascist in all but name.” JK Rowling

NightSwimmer
Thought Provocateur
Lifer

Post #5 by NightSwimmer » 4 weeks ago

tnbskts wrote:Source of the post It's easy to see how they won't be affected by the fallout if you see how Republicans are reacting. Most of my FB friends who are rabid right-wingers are absolutely loving it because it sticks it to Obama, and Pelosi won't like it, and it'll only affect the undeserving. They simply don't care what's actually in the bill, they just want to see Democrats getting hurt.

Apaprently some of the worst effects are being held off till 2023, which means the "moderate" Republicans can vote for it without being in danger of being turfed out of their seats any time soon.

Unfortunately, we must take into consideration the fact that many of our fellow Americans are quite simply self-centered assholes of very limited intellect whom are in possession of dubious morality.

It is what it is...
I bought a second hand time machine next Tuesday.
They don’t make them like they’re going to anymore...

रात तैराक Ο κολυμβητής της νύχτας לשחות בלילה.

ARMCX1
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post #6 by ARMCX1 » 4 weeks ago

1. The GOP needs 50 votes to pass the AHCA in the Senate. The GOP is the Senate majority 52:48.

2. If the bill passes the Senate it will be reconciled with the bill passed by the House.

3. There are 4 GOP senators who have announced that they oppose the current version of the bill as written describing it as Obamacare light. :D

4. The AHCA proposes major changes to the Medicaid program. The ACA dramatically expanded Medicaid as the basis for the coverage of the poorest Americans. The AHCA continues the expansion until 2021 when Medicaid begins to be scaled back in terms of federal support.

In 2024, the AHCA turns the federal role in funding Medicaid to block grants that cap total federal Medicaid spending; and because Medicaid increases will be indexed to the standard rate of inflation (1.7%) rather than the medical rate of inflation (4.4%-8.0%) as is the case in the ACA.

As a final indignation the states are allowed to waiver out of the key component to pre-existing conditions coverage in the ACA, the essential benefits mandate defining the meaning of treatment for all of the pre-existing conditions covered. The AHCA prohibits insurers discriminating on the basis of pre-existing conditions but it may not pay for the treatment of them rendering it a meaningless benefit.

5. The Senate version of the AHCA like the House version denies Title X funds to any center that provides abortions and targets Planned Parenthood for at least 1 year.

6. The CBO will score the Senate version of the AHCA for the years 2016–2026. All of the negative effects are back loaded in order to get the best CBO score possible.

7. The bill reduces the income range of Americans eligible for federal subsidies from 400% of the federal poverty level to 350% of that level, a reduction of a little more than $6000 per eligible american.

The purpose of the AHCA is to take healthcare money from people who make $56,000* per year and less and give it to people who make $200,000 per year or more and call THAT Health care.

* single income eligible for a federal subsidy in 2017.
Arise arise he cried so loud with a voice without restraint/come out ye gifted kings and queens and hear my sad complaint/no martyr is amongst ye now whom you can call your own/but go on your way accordingly and know you're not alone

Cicero
Veteran
Veteran

Post #7 by Cicero » 4 weeks ago

Welcome to America as a "bucket of crabs."

There's no use pretending that this isn't who we, as a people, are these days. We don't lift each other up. We don't help each other. We drag each other down to our mutual misery and destruction. This is why the GOP is going to pass this bill (with a few cosmetic changes). This is why they will suffer no, or very few, consequences for doing so. The rentiers and the Rand Cultists are in charge, and they are determined to destroy the social safety net, while the base cheers them on.

Things are about to get really bad for a whole bunch of people. Perhaps they'll learn something from the experience, but I (somehow) doubt that they will. These folks are, living, proof that you can't save people from themselves.

BDBoop
aka Admin
Media Manager

Post #8 by BDBoop » 4 weeks ago

They're not actually who I give a shit about.

And speak for yourself. I DO lift people up, more often than not. I told my FMLA nurse that it was "completely inappropriate but I LOVE YOU!" because she got my paperwork in on time.

I'm not going to stop fighting, stop being an optimist, because the lunatics are running the asylum.

Cicero
Veteran
Veteran

Post #9 by Cicero » 4 weeks ago

BDBoop wrote:Source of the post They're not actually who I give a shit about.

And speak for yourself. I DO lift people up, more often than not. I told my FMLA nurse that it was "completely inappropriate but I LOVE YOU!" because she got my paperwork in on time.

I'm not going to stop fighting, stop being an optimist, because the lunatics are running the asylum.

Denying reality doesn't change the nature of reality. The Assault on Health Care Act IS going to pass. It will have some minor, cosmetic, changes that will allow the pseudo-protests, by some in the GOP, to fade away. In the end this bill will move to reconciliation and passage.

In so far as the comments about America, as a people, being a "crab bucket society" I stand by that comment. If it were otherwise then we would not be looking at a government controlled, entirely by the Rand cultists and rentiers. They didn't "magically" appear in government. They were elected by the people of America. Whether you, or I, agree with their philosophy doesn't change the fact that a plurality of those (who did vote) support it. They voted these people in to office at the state and federal level. That being the case it is semantically accurate to state that this is a reflection of who they are as a people. Observing that there are exceptions doesn't change this fact. The exceptions are not the rule. If they were, then we wouldn't be having this discussion at all.

tnbskts
British expat

Post #10 by tnbskts » 4 weeks ago

Susan Collins isn't up for election in 2018, nor are Lisa Murkowski or Rob Portman. Which means that Dean Heller is the only moderate Republican even remotely likely to vote against the bill since he's up for reelection in 2018. The four Ayn Rand acolytes growling about the bill will come round because if it's this or nothing, they'll prefer this.

Of course it's going to pass, and of course Republicans who'll be hurt by it aren't going to stop voting Republican. They'll be so thrilled that it pokes Obama in the eye and makes liberals unhappy that they'll support it like mad. And if they get hurt by it, which of course they will, they'll blame Obama. The fact that it defunds Planned Parenthood will override any disadvantages.
"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." Terry Pratchett via Granny Weatherwax

“Look towards the Republican Party in America and shudder. ‘Make America Great Again!’ cries a man who is fascist in all but name.” JK Rowling

Return to “US Politics”