Political Polarization Is Mainly A Right-Wing Phenomenon

Breaking news and analyses of politics in the United States
Babba
Catarific

Post #1 by Babba » 1 week ago

Yet another study showing that right wingers are very insular and myopic in their news consumption.

A major new study of social-media sharing patterns shows that political polarization is more common among conservatives than liberals — and that the exaggerations and falsehoods emanating from right-wing media outlets such as Breitbart News have infected mainstream discourse.

The CJR study, by scholars at the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society, at Harvard Law School, and the MIT Center for Civic Media, examined more than 1.25 million articles between April 1, 2015, and Election Day. What they found was that Hillary Clinton supporters shared stories from across a relatively broad political spectrum, including center-right sources such as The Wall Street Journal, mainstream news organizations like the Times and the Post, and partisan liberal sites like The Huffington Post and The Daily Beast.

By contrast, Donald Trump supporters clustered around Breitbart — headed until recently by Stephen Bannon, the hard-right nationalist now ensconced in the White House — and a few like-minded websites such as The Daily Caller, Alex Jones' Infowars, and The Gateway Pundit. Even Fox News was dropped from the favored circle back when it was attacking Trump during the primaries, and only re-entered the fold once it had made its peace with the future president.

Washington Post media columnist Margaret Sullivan, writing about the study earlier this week, recalled talking with a Trump voter in Pennsylvania who said she didn’t support Clinton because “I didn’t like how she stole those emails and it got people killed in Benghazi” — a perfect storm of misinformation.
:blink:

A Major New Study Shows That Political Polarization Is Mainly A Right-Wing Phenomenon | WGBH News
I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. ~ Susan B. Anthony

ARMCX1
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post #2 by ARMCX1 » 1 week ago

Look at that later but it certainly matches my impression and understanding.
Arise arise he cried so loud with a voice without restraint/come out ye gifted kings and queens and hear my sad complaint/no martyr is amongst ye now whom you can call your own/but go on your way accordingly and know you're not alone

tnbskts
British expat

Post #3 by tnbskts » 1 week ago

You can see how problematic this would be in a country like Russia or Turkey where the media is controlled by the dictator in charge. If all we had to read was Breitbart and Fox, I wonder what effect it would have. You hear stories of people who start to listen to Fox while commuting (and there are some parts of the country where it's hard to find anything else) and end up being rabid right-wing partisans a few months later.

But this does agree with that study a while back which showed how people's responses to Obama and Trump bombing Syria were much more partisan on the right than on the left.
"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." Terry Pratchett via Granny Weatherwax

“Look towards the Republican Party in America and shudder. ‘Make America Great Again!’ cries a man who is fascist in all but name.” JK Rowling

baj
Veteran
Veteran

Post #4 by baj » 1 week ago

tnbskts wrote:Source of the post You can see how problematic this would be in a country like Russia or Turkey where the media is controlled by the dictator in charge. If all we had to read was Breitbart and Fox, I wonder what effect it would have. You hear stories of people who start to listen to Fox while commuting (and there are some parts of the country where it's hard to find anything else) and end up being rabid right-wing partisans a few months later.

But this does agree with that study a while back which showed how people's responses to Obama and Trump bombing Syria were much more partisan on the right than on the left.

That's very true. I have noticed depending on where I am right wing talk radio is all there is. I also know military bases and many VA facilities only show FOX News. Some companies as well. So its probably true if that is all one has they would probably gravitate towards that. I do think that is a huge reason why dems have lost so many local/state seats. Many of these places have nothing else. Democrats just haven't been able to break into that market.

ARMCX1
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post #5 by ARMCX1 » 1 week ago

All of this is the effect of identifying persuadable voters and microtargeting them with pro-conservative propaganda, news stories and fake news. The opposite may be true that liberal voters are microtargeted and fed negative stories about liberal candidates and fake news serving to suppress the vote. That was done to Sanders voters.

Manipulation of the information environment is designed to fit into what is known about the target and to resemble the way in which information interacts with the neurology of cognition.

The most likely reason Kobach's Committee on voting wanted all 50 states entire voting databases is to use the detailed data on ~200 million voters collected over extended periods of time to microparse the electorate with extraordinary detail and sophistication these huge databases can provide.

And of course, this information can be used to devise voter suppression schemes that combine traditional voter suppression methods (e.g. photo ID) and voter identification and manipulation.

They want to make ultra accurate forecasts of turnout and vote by manipulating the electorate -- not insure the integrity of the vote.
Arise arise he cried so loud with a voice without restraint/come out ye gifted kings and queens and hear my sad complaint/no martyr is amongst ye now whom you can call your own/but go on your way accordingly and know you're not alone

Return to “US Politics”