In Which Steamy Takes a Stand

Show off your dishes and exchange recipes.
Blueneck
Tries to be nice - often fails
Veteran

Post #11 by Blueneck » 1 month ago

I'm medium rare person too.

A couple of things I know about steak - when you start to see juice (blood) oozing up from onto the top of the steak, It's about halfway done, if you like it medium.

And they say you shouldn't cook cold meat. Leave it out of the fridge for an hour or so and let it reach room temperature before grilling.

Another thing I've heard (never tried it) is putting a piece of cheesecloth over the steak and letting it sit in the fridge for a couple of days to "dry age" it.

We're actually having steak tonight for dinner, I'm marinating it in the fridge right now in Worcestershire and soy sauce. I have been buying flat iron steak lately, it's a good quality steak for less money and no waste.

Now I'm hungry already. :blink:
There are some people who, if they don't already know, you can't tell 'em. ~ Yogi Berra

ARMCX1
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post #12 by ARMCX1 » 1 month ago

steak tartar for Steamy ;)
Arise arise he cried so loud with a voice without restraint/come out ye gifted kings and queens and hear my sad complaint/no martyr is amongst ye now whom you can call your own/but go on your way accordingly and know you're not alone

Steam Heat
Numbah One Good Time Gal
Lifer

Post #13 by Steam Heat » 1 month ago

ARMCX1 wrote:Source of the post steak tartar for Steamy ;)

Oh, HAIL no!! :yucky:

BDBoop
aka Admin
Media Manager

Post #14 by BDBoop » 1 month ago

Why is he trying to give you MY steak? Silly.

ARMCX1
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post #15 by ARMCX1 » 1 month ago

Steam Heat wrote:Source of the post

Oh, HAIL no!! :yucky:

Steak tartar is what made Milwaukee Milwuakee along with Schlitz beer. That's the first and only place where I had steak tartar.
Arise arise he cried so loud with a voice without restraint/come out ye gifted kings and queens and hear my sad complaint/no martyr is amongst ye now whom you can call your own/but go on your way accordingly and know you're not alone

Steam Heat
Numbah One Good Time Gal
Lifer

Post #16 by Steam Heat » 1 month ago

I've never had steak tartar (and don't really want to). Oddly enough, I'll gobble up maki sushi and nigiri, and ask for more, please.

Go figger. *grin*

ARMCX1
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post #17 by ARMCX1 » 1 month ago

Steam Heat wrote:Source of the post I've never had steak tartar (and don't really want to). Oddly enough, I'll gobble up maki sushi and nigiri, and ask for more, please.

Go figger. *grin*

No, you don't want to try it. It's a nasty textured and tasting. I put a lot of hot sauce on my small piece on a cracker. That was it.

OTOH, I love sushi, sashimi, wasabi and any of the sushi rolls. The first time I had it was in 2002 in DC for a protest against the WTO/GATT/World Bank/IMF. I couldn't believe how good it was. San Diego is a good city for sea food/sushi but your locale is even better. :yes:

Steam Heat
Numbah One Good Time Gal
Lifer

Post #18 by Steam Heat » 1 month ago

ARMCX1 wrote:Source of the post

No, you don't want to try it. It's a nasty textured and tasting. I put a lot of hot sauce on my small piece on a cracker. That was it.

OTOH, I love sushi, sashimi, wasabi and any of the sushi rolls. The first time I had it was in 2002 in DC for a protest against the WTO/GATT/World Bank/IMF. I couldn't believe how good it was. San Diego is a good city for sea food/sushi but your locale is even better. :yes:

Dungeness crab and wild Pacific salmon . . . :punk:

ARMCX1
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post #19 by ARMCX1 » 1 month ago

Steam Heat wrote:Source of the post

Dungeness crab and wild Pacific salmon . . . :punk:

Outstanding choices. I'm also a fan of fresh tuna. I couldn't believe the difference between fresh caught tuna and the canned variety which I always disliked.

ARMCX1
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post #20 by ARMCX1 » 1 month ago

sold for $1.76 million

The rest of the report is about how depleted the bluefin tuna stock is and how the auction price is really a stunt.

The first Tokyo tuna auction of 2013, on Saturday, saw a single 489-pound bluefin sell for astonishing $1.76 million, according to the Associated Press *:

David Schalit, a commercial tuna fisherman from New York, posted an invaluable comment below clarifying the real price of bluefin tuna and offering an important view of the conservation/exploitation balance on this species. In 2011, he commented on a Times news article on bluefin, as well, noting the faux nature of the first-of-the-year tuna sales in the Tsukiji fish market.

Andrew David Thaler of the super Southern Fried Science blog has posted a valuable and cautionary piece: Bluefin Tuna and the Tsukiji Fish Auction: caution in drawing conclusions from record breaking prices.

* I encourage you to read the comments below from “Meltydown” (a k a Danny Bloom, a longtime journalist currently in Taiwan but previously working in Japan). He notes that these are not actual auctions, but promotional “sales” of fish done as publicity stunts. I’m eager to hear more about this.

Bluefin Tuna Sold for Record $1.76 Million in Tokyo ‘Auction’*
Cookies are Not Accepted - New York Times

And so on and so forth...

Return to “Recipedia”